Monday, February 22, 2010

Just for Fun

As a Hispanic and having Jewish roots in both of my parents' backgrounds I have most definitely inherited a passion for dancing. So tonight I thought I'd take a break from looking at the serious stuff about Greece and look at something more entertaining, Greek dancing and Jewish dancing. I find it very interesting if not ironic how similar the Greek and Jewish styles of dancing are at occaisions like weddings. Both the music and the actual style of dancing are incredibly similar. I think this is a result of both Greece and Israel's mediterranean culture. I would love to see a Greek Jewish wedding dance.


Here's the Jewish dancing


And this is the Greek dancing


Also I found this site which is quite fascinating; because, it gives the history of Jews in Greece complete with pictures and a slideshow!
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/vjw/Greece.html

No comments:

Post a Comment